Mexico Visa – Temporary Resident / Residente Temporal (MTRV was FM3)


Summary: The Temporary resident visa (MTRV) is needed by Canadian or US citizens if they want to stay continuously in Mexico for more than 180 days.

Updated July 2013.

Updated February 2013: Please keep in mind that the current regulations are relatively new (Nov. 2012) so you may have different experiences depending on which office you use. The following information is gleaned from many sources across the internet it is only a summary of what I believe I understand. If in doubt consult a professional or ask a question on a forum to get information about the personal experience of others. If your experience is different or suggests errors in the information presented please comment below. Sharing has served us well in the past and will help us through these changes as well.

If you need to apply for a visa or change your immigration status in any way there is an on line procedure which starts the process. That process has been translated and documented here: INM ONline Immigration Application Procedure for Visas and changes

To get this visa you must apply at a Mexican consulate outside Mexico unless you already have immigrant or non immigrant status or you are the kin of a Mexican citizen.

The cost is: 1 year – $3,310 pesos
2 year – $4,690 pesos
3 year – $5,940 pesos
4 year – $7,040 pesos

It is good for 4 years after which you must either leave the country to apply for a new MTRV or convert it to a Permanent Resident Visa (MPRV) / Residente Permanente.

If you have non immigrant status (FM3) in its 1st or 2nd year then you can convert it to a temporary resident visa at the time of renewal of your status without leaving the country.

If your non immigrant status (FM3) is in its 3rd or 4th year then you will have to convert it to a permanent resident visa or leave the country. You can apply for a change in status 6 month prior to it’s expiry.

The MPRV can be purchased for up to 4 years without having to renew it annually.

There is a minimum income requirement for getting this visa in the range of 2,000 US$ per month or US$102,000 of investments for each individual. You may be required to prove this with bank statements but the INM offices have the discretion to use a combination of assets including real estate to arrive at an equivalency. The idea is that you should be financially self sufficient.

You cannot have a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico under this status.  This has caused a great deal of controversy and there may be some grace period or changes to this regulation. (June 2013 comment) This is still a hot topic of debate. Some people are getting renewals of their temporary Import Permits when they gain their Temporal status but it is expected that that may only last for a while as the attitude of the government seems to be that it will not be permitted especially if you have some income associated with your status. Only time will tell. (July 2013 comment) It is still debatable and being debated but it appears that until the tax law (Ley Aduano) is changed you can get a temporary import permit. Best to ask a professional to help you with this.

You must inform the INM of the following changes within 90 days of their occurrence:


This document can only be renewed within 30 days prior to expiry.

If your document should expire while outside the country then you have 55 days to reenter Mexico and 5 days to get to an INM office. If you don’t do that your document is no longer valid.

The time to get the document approved is estimated at 20 working days and then it has to go the Mexico City for issuance which is another 2 to 3 weeks.

When you apply for your MTRV at a consulate they will give you a visa good for 30 days. Once you enter Mexico you have 5 days to go to a INM office to continue the process. Apparently some consulates give longer periods for the visa. Up to 180 days have been reported.

Additional Resources:

I have always found the Mexconnect forum extremely useful.

The actual regulations are here in Spanish:

See also Mark’s comment on how to calculate the investment requirement below.

New Non immigrant resident card and old FM3 booklet

  115 Responses to “Mexico Visa – Temporary Resident / Residente Temporal (MTRV was FM3)”

  1. Humana People to People started implementing their projects
    in China during 2007. One of the primary projects
    which was assumed was the Malaria project which planned to distribute
    worthwhile tips and protection about the disease to region
    residents. A Community Capability Advancement and Child
    Aid mission was then entered Zhenkang. An awesome 13
    commissions were began during 2010 for several from the largest poverty-stricken
    areas of the area. Beyond the Yunnan Province,
    tasks were going in the Sichuan Province, Chongqing Area and Guangdong
    Currently, a number of tasks that Humana has undertaken within China contains attention in rural locations, earlier child education that is built to offer Chinese children
    a head start on their path to achievement, developing safer paths for
    Humana toddler kids, offering speedy HIV testing, starting
    grower support groups and raising income through
    charity events like the Comedy Pub China Charity Demonstrate.
    At present, there are 11 commissions remaining accomplished throughout 3 areas within China and in a lot more
    than 128 towns. Along with 280 cumulate recipients, People
    to People gives wish and also a greater future to these poverty-stricken
    non-urban areas.

  2. What greater gift can we provide our children and grandchildren rather than
    the aspiration to provide nicer for people who watch them?

    Created in 1997, Planet Aid has collected lots of hope, compassion,
    and aid in the numerous bright yellow donation containers that bear its designation.
    Those cases are found in 21 provinces, and collect nearly 100 million kilos of used clothes and footwear.
    Wearable items that could normally have taken space in rubbish
    dumps are spread throughout the world, offering clothes and
    shoes for individuals that may or else have died without.

    Maintainability and green-thinking always at the front, drop-container donations support people to advance their lives by sustainable production of meals, local community service,
    and better knowledge, as helping limit the carbon influence these
    products could give in their wake. The reuse of outfits and wearable objects lowers the
    demand to grow the raw materials to produce much more of
    them, proficiently decreasing pollution of water, atmosphere, and earth.
    Garments contributed go to folks who desperately desire them, and benefit to sustain lots
    of tasks which greatly raise the standard of living for many
    other individuals.
    A successful not-for-profit group, Planet Aid attempts to committed to
    its purpose to increase situations for folks globally.
    By advancing collaboration between residential areas throughout the world,
    constructive improve is affected in the lives of impoverished folks upon an international
    level. Aimed at the need to decrease waste and utilize critical resources
    more efficiently and enhancing communities by encouraging ecological points in food production and also
    the finance development of small enterprise. By
    industrious motivation and adherence to the concepts of their task, Planet Aid operates to create
    a good lasting outcome inside the life of impoverished men
    and women by enhancing having access to training, education, and wellness knowledge.

    The Planet Aid School Program is available via local
    branches, and facilitates schools to offer many ecologically centered studying tasks for kids.

    Instances of institution programs contain holding
    a box, fundraising, Adopt-A-Projects, or item selection drives.
    Planet Aid works with institutions and organizations to seek
    right constructions that emphasize care about circumstances
    around the globe, personal duty for environmental welfare, as well
    as beneficial actions to enhance the international community.
    The School Program works to train scholars sympathy for other people and generate a
    broad community consciousness, while displaying them
    how concentrated individuals can actually help the everyday lives of their neighbors.

  3. I want to move to Mexico, but I’m having trouble grasping the whole idea of visas. Can the tourist visa be exchanged into the temporary residency visa? What about the work visa? Should I take care of it prior to coming? Does it make a difference if I am from Lithuania (Europe)? Thanks for your time!

    • Yes you need to start at a Mexican consulate in your home country. Most of the information you find on this site is intended for Canadians and Americans so yes there are differences for non North Americans.

  4. I have a temp residency and i am eligible too apply for permanent residency , my temp expires on may 20th but i want to be in Canada for 2 months starting on the 20th, can i start the process now before my expiry . anywhere else in the world allows you to apply for a new visa or drivers license up too 3 months before it expires, the immigration office is telling me i have to wait until it expires , well i want to be at my other job in Canada at that time. anyone know if there is a way to start my application for permanent resident right away thanks

    • Pete: Unfortunately local offices have a lot of latitude to interpret the rules so I don’t think you will have much luck and you have probably already tried to explain your situation to them. You may be able to get a professional to do it for you by signing all the forms before you leave. Ask around locally for someone who does that kind of work.

 Leave a Reply